The SD&G County Library endorses the Ontario Library Association's Position on Children's Rights in the Public Library.
Children in Public Libraries have the right to:
- Intellectual freedom
- Equal access to the full range of services and materials available to other users.
- A full range of materials, services and programs specifically designed and developed to meet their needs.
- Adequate funding for collections and services related to population, use and local community needs.
- A library environment that complements their physical and developmental stages.
- Trained and knowledgeable staff specializing in children's services.
- Welcoming, respectful, supportive service from birth through the transition to adult user.
- An advocate who will speak on their behalf to the library administration, library board, municipal council and community to make people aware of the goals of children's services.
- Library policies written to include the needs of the child.
A full list of the SD&G County Library's policies can be found here.